• publish: 14 July 2020
  • time: 4:55 pm
  • category: Excerpted
  • No: 14388
Print

Afghan civilian casualties fall 11 percent in first half of 2020

Civilian casualties in Afghanistan dropped 11 percent in the first six months of the year, Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission said on Tuesday.

A total of 2,957 civilian casualties were recorded in the first half of 2020, including 1,213 deaths and 1,744 injuries. It representing a 11 percent decrease over the same period last year, when the number of casualties was 3,338.

Taliban killed 542 civilians and wounded 896, which made up 48.5 percent of all civilian casualties, the group said in its report. Casualties caused by the group declined 24 percent from the corresponding period last year.

Afghan government forces caused 15.5 percent of casualties while international forces caused 2.3 percent. Daesh was responsible for 6.3 percent of casualties.

At least 630 children were killed and injured in the first half of the year, a decline of 33 percent. It included 225 deaths and 405 injuries. Women suffered 126 deaths and 171 injuries.

The report said that 31 percent of the casualties happened in targeted attacks, involving 533 deaths and 412 injuries.

A total of 766 civilians were killed and injured by roadside bombs, magnetic bombs and car bombs, the report said, noting a 7 percent increase.

Suicide attacks, which were largely carried out by Daesh, caused 347 casualties, a 109 percent increase.

Air strikes caused 189 casualties, a 44 percent drop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *