“Units of police backed by the army and National Directorate for Security have conducted several anti-terrorist operations in Nangarhar, Faryab, Sar-e-Pul, Ghazni, Khost and Herat provinces over the past 24 hours which have left 27 armed insurgents dead,” said a statement of the Interior Ministry released here.
According to the statement, three more militants have been wounded and 10 others made captive.
Meantime, an army spokesman in northern Faryab province, Reza Rezai, said that eight Taliban fighters had been killed and 14 others injured in the Qaisar district of the province since on Monday.
“Backed by combat aircraft, the ground forces have killed eight Taliban rebels and injured 14 others in Qaisar district since launching the cleanup operations on Monday,” Rezai said.
Mullah Abdul Samad, the shadowy deputy governor of Taliban for Faryab province, is also among those killed in the operations, he said, adding that two security personnel have been injured.
In Nazian district of eastern Nangarhar province, Afghan security forces captured nine armed Taliban militants on Tuesday, according to Mohammad Ayub Hussainkhil, a senior Border Police officer.
“Our troops captured nine armed Taliban rebels in Nazian district today morning while they were attempting to create law and order problems,” Hussainkhil said.
Taliban have yet to make comments.