• publish: 30 September 2015
  • time: 9:02 pm
  • category: Politics
  • No: 1516
Print

Top Security officials faced angry questioning by MPs, but had nothing to say, Nabil apologizes

Head of Afghanistan National Directorate Security (NDS), Rahmatullah Nabil on Parliament’s Tuesday session has apologized to Afghanistan nation for the fall of Kunduz province.

Nabil talking at Wolesi Jirga acknowledge that Security Forces failed to prevent the Kunduz disaster.

Members of Parliament had earlier called on the top security officials of the country regarding the fall of Kunduz to Taliban to appear before MPS; of whom only Afghan NDS head Rahmatullah Nabil, minister of interior Olumi and Ghulam Popal of national directorate of local governors responded the call.

However, the session on summoning security officials were held in secret behind the closed doors.

Some reports suggest that security officials claim that they have informed the presence of terrorist in Kunduz seven months ago but operations on wiping out the terrorist havens in Kunduz were hampered.

“We apologize the nation and the representatives of people that we failed to prevent Kunduz disaster,” Rahmatullah Nabil said.

Meanwhile, Kunduz representatives voiced concern over Kunduz situation; citing Kunduz is under Taliban’s control and the people are in trouble.

“Kunduz situation is extremely bad, people have been killed and there are a few soldiers fighting against terrorists,” Shukrya Paikan, Kunduz representative said.

Nabil said that Kunduz had been threatened long time ago, following which 700 commandos along with international forces were deployed to Kunduz airport to conduct operations against terrorists but the operations were delayed due to some reasons.

The reasons for delaying the operations remained unclear.

A number of Parliament representatives left Parliament to draw protest; claiming security official’s statements did not provide satisfactory for representatives.

“These are repetitive statements, people are facing problems. They lie, they did not conduct any operations and would not do,” Fatima Aziz, representative of Kunduz said.

The Taliban took the strategic northern city of Kunduz on Monday in a surprise multi-pronged attack that kicked off before dawn.

It was the first major urban area to fall to the Taliban since the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and marks an escalation of the insurgency.

Afghan security forces have been sorely tested this year, following the withdrawal at the end of 2014 of international combat troops.

Army and police have suffered huge casualties and their resources have been spread thinly across the country as the Taliban have taken their fight to topple the Kabul government to every corner of the country.

Kunduz is one of the largest and wealthiest cities in Afghanistan, and the surrounding province, also called Kunduz, is one of the country’s chief breadbaskets and has rich mining assets.

It lies on a strategic crossroads connecting Afghanistan to Pakistan, China and Central Asia.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *