• publish: 26 October 2020
  • time: 4:00 pm
  • category: Politics
  • No: 15819
Print

After Wardak airstrike, US Forces reject accusations of violating Doha agreement

Colonel Sonny Leggett, spokesman for US Forces Afghanistan, on Monday rejected claims by the Taliban that Sunday night’s airstrike against the insurgent group was in contravention of the Doha agreement.

In a post on Twitter Leggett said: “USFOR-A conducted a targeted strike in Nerkh, Wardak last night- in defense of the ANDSF and in accordance with the US-TB Agreement- killing 5 Taliban fighters. 

“We reject the allegations of violating the agreement and of killing innocent Afghans,” he said. 

This comes after the Taliban accused the US earlier Monday of repeatedly violating the agreement which was signed in February in Doha. 

The group’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid tweeted Monday: “In recurrent violation of the Doha agreement, American invaders carried out a drone strike in Durrani area of Nerkh district Wardak dusk time Sunday resulting in 3 innocent children martyred.”

The Ministry of Defense meanwhile issued a statement saying at least 26 Taliban members had been killed and four others wounded in clashes in Sayedabad and Nima Wardak districts in the province. 

The MoD did not however mention anything about a US airstrike. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *