The Taliban have committed to a halt in roadside and suicide bombings as well as rocket attacks, including against Afghan government forces an unidentified US official said.
A Taliban official also said that the signing of deal had been tentatively set for February 29, with the start of the Afghan talks planned for March 10.
According to the Taliban official, the agreement would provide for the release of 5,000 Taliban prisoners before the start of the intra-Afghan talks.
The latest developments in the peace process came as Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper met Friday with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in Munich on the sidelines of an international security conference.
Pompeo and Espter said that none of the articles of the agreement is condition-less and the Taliban may use misleading propaganda, but the reality is that they have become ready to stop fighting and acknowledge a pluralistic society, according to a statement from Ghani’s office.
It said that Ghani will launch consultations with Afghan forces, different sections of society, civil society and political circles next week to inform them about the developments and talk about opportunities and risks for peace.