• publish: 14 October 2017
  • time: 5:45 pm
  • category: Politics
  • No: 4815

In Kunar 14 civilians killed in a recent US drone strike

More than a dozen civilians have been killed in a recent US drone strike.

The strike was said to be aimed at a militant targets in Kunar.

Shahzada Shahid a MP, said “the villagers are very upset about this incident.

“There is no doubt that they were civilians, they were not armed with weapons and those that were killed were oppressed,” he added.

A resident also said, “All the victims were civilians and they bombarded the villages and the houses. All of them were local people and did not belong to the enemy.”

Provincial governor’s spokesman Abdul Ghani Musamim said Saturday that the strike targeted a meeting of local ISIS terrorists and Taliban militants, without elaborating on any details.

Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri also confirmed the report.

The US-led foreign military forces in the country have not yet commented on the incident.

The United Nations announced in a quarterly report on Thursday that Afghan civilian casualties from US and Afghan airstrikes have climbed by more than 50 percent since last year.

The US military has escalated attacks in Afghanistan under a new strategy announced by President Donald Trump in August.

Washington currently maintains 8,400 soldiers in Afghanistan, with NATO troops making up another 5,000.

Civilian casualties caused by NATO forces have been one of the most contentious issues during the 16-year military campaign in Afghanistan, prompting strong government and public criticism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *