Did you know that Netanyahu was also instrumental in pushing the US into the Afghanistan quagmire? The same one that you now cannot get out of?,” Zarif wrote on his Twitter account on Tuesday.
“His motto since 1986: Fight to the last American soldier,” he added.
In relevant remarks on Sunday, Zarif voiced serious concern about the start of a new wave of violence in Afghanistan, warning that the situation may be pounced on by foreigners and aggressors.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran warns that foreigners and aggressors may cash in on the new situation in this country and trigger a fresh round of killing and bloodshed in Afghanistan,” Zarif said.
“From our standpoint, aggressors and occupiers must concede defeat and leave Afghanistan as soon as possible,” said Zarif.
He said Tehran is urging all sides involved in the conflict to exercise self-restraint.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran calls on all warring sides to exercise restraint, stop fratricide and seriously avoid shedding the blood of innocent people and individuals until a permanent ceasefire and national reconciliation agreement is reached,” he added.
Zarif underlined Iran’s readiness to contribute to efforts aimed at securing a reconciliation accord.
“While respecting Afghanistan’s sovereignty and stressing that any peace process should be owned and directed by Afghan people from all walks of life, the Islamic Republic of Iran stands ready to take part in consultations and discussions with all warring sides in Afghanistan in a regional initiative together with Afghanistan’s neighbors and government as well as all groups in the country in order to stop the shedding of innocent people’s blood and ease the achievement of a lasting agreement, and will spare no sincere and nonpartisan effort in that regard,” he said.
On Saturday, US President Donald Trump claimed canceling peace talks with leaders of Afghanistan’s Taliban insurgents in a resort near Washington after the notorious militant group claimed responsibility for a recent Kabul attack that killed an American soldier and 11 others.
US diplomats have been talking with Taliban representatives for months seeking to agree to a plan to withdraw thousands of American troops in exchange for security guarantees by the Taliban.
A source close to the Taliban leadership in Afghanistan stated that the group will hold a meeting to discuss all aspects of ongoing negotiations before issuing a statement.
“Trump’s tweets do not clarify if the deal has been canceled, he has just called-off the talks at this stage,” the source added.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani urged the Taliban on Sunday to end violence and talk directly to his government after Trump announced he had canceled a planned meeting with the insurgent group over a draft peace accord.
“Real peace will come when Taliban agree to a ceasefire,” Ghani’s officials said in statement in response to Trump’s cancellation of the secret peace talks.
A close aide to Ghani noted that Trump’s decision to cancel talks at a time when the Taliban continue to mount attacks proved the concerns expressed by the Afghan government about the deal were acknowledged.
“We stand with President Trump’s decision…the outcome of the draft deal did not guarantee a lasting peace in Afghanistan,” the aide stated on conditions of anonymity.
Trump’s surprise announcement left in doubt the future of a draft peace accord worked out last week by Zalmay Khalilzad, the special US envoy for peace in Afghanistan.