• publish: 18 September 2019
  • time: 9:42 pm
  • category: Excerpted
  • No: 10430
Print
Foreign ministry's spokesman:

Peace talks between America and Taliban may resume

Talks between the United States and the Taliban are likely to restart, Afghan foreign ministry’s spokesman said on Wednesday.

Last week, US President Donald Trump declared peace talks with the Taliban dead after cancelling a secret meeting with the group’s leaders at Camp David.

Sibghatullah Ahmadi, a spokesman for Afghanistan’s foreign ministry, said that the sides would resume talks, which Trump cancelled due to an attack in Kabul that left 12 people dead.

Ahmadi, however, said that the Taliban could not push Afghan government to negotiation through violence.

The Taliban have visited Russia and Iran following the collapse of talks and Ahmadi said that they are expected to visit other countries in coming days as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *