“Attacking public places & killing innocent people are unforgivable crimes with no justification in any religion,” President Ghani said in a post on his official twitter account. “The government is committed to protecting our citizens & defending our country against those who refuse to lay down their weapons.”
NATO Forces in Afghanistan also condemned the attack in a statement released to the media.
“A Taliban group has started the new year the same way they ended last year: by again targeting defenseless civilians and showing their complete disregard for the safety of Afghan people,” said Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner, Resolute Support Spokesperson in the statement. “Our thoughts are with the victims of this attack and the families and friends of those killed.”
The attack on Le Jardin restaurant, in Taimani area of 4th PD, was carried out by a suicide bomber driving a car full of explosives at around 5 pm (local time) on Friday. It left two civilians including a child killed and 17 others, most of them area residents, wounded.
Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack that took place on the first day of New Year.