This comes as two road workers were on Friday kidnapped by gunmen in Khatlon province of Tajikistan which is on the border with Afghanistan’s Badakhshan province
Government sources in Tajikistan had told Reuters that the gunmen had crossed from Afghanistan who also wounded another road worker in the attack.
An unnamed source in the regional government had described the attackers as smugglers saying that their victims had been working on a road improvement project in the Shuro-obod district near the border.
A central government source then said Tajik President Imomali Rakhmon had ordered the government to take all necessary measures to ensure the release of the kidnapped men.
This also comes about one month after a Tajik border guard and an armed man was killed in a clash near the border.
The country’s Main Border Guard Directorate at the State Committee for National Security (SCNS) said that the gunmen had crossed over from Afghanistan.