Department of Defense spokesman, Peter Cook, in a statement said the two senior Al-Qaeda terrorist network leaders were among three killed in a drone strike conducted late in October.
Cook further added “A precision airstrike carried out by the U.S. military on Oct. 23 near Kunar, Afghanistan, killed three senior al-Qaida leaders.”
He said, previously DoD disclosed that the strike eliminated Faruq al-Qatani the group’s emir for Eastern Afghanistan.
“The department has now determined the same strike also killed Bilal al-Utabyi, al-Qatani’s deputy as well as Abd al-Wahid al-Junabi, a senior al-Qaida explosives expert,” Cook added.
“All three were actively involved in carrying out and plotting terror attacks inside and outside Afghanistan,” he said.
Afghan intelligence agency has already confirmed the deaths of these three Al-Qaeda leaders.
According to Cook, the deaths of these three al-Qaida leaders will significantly reduce the group’s ability to threaten the United States, our interests and our allies.
“This strike is further evidence that those who seek us harm are not beyond our reach,” he added.