• publish: 17 October 2015
  • time: 7:43 pm
  • category: Politics
  • No: 1762
Print
Hamid Karzai:

US continuous presence intensified the war in Afghanistan  

Former Afghan president Hamid Karzai on Saturday criticized the decision made by U.S President Barack Obama to put a halt on US troops draw down plan and maintain current levels through 2016.

In a statement issued by Karzai he said the presence of foreign troops had not only failed to stamp out terrorism but is in fact adding to the problem in war-ravaged Afghanistan.

Karzai said the Afghan people have had 14 years of foreign troop presence in their country and hoped for lasting peace and the elimination of terrorism but that this has not happened. Instead insurgency has strengthened.

In reference to the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) signed between the Afghan government and US in September 2014, Karzai said the security deal did not help overcome insecurity but instead it has intensified the war – with fighting now in numerous provinces that were previously secure.

He also said that the Taliban’s effort to step up the war in villages and cities has provided the opportunity for further presence of foreign troops in Afghanistan.

“Afghan people will accept the US military presence provided that they consider some issues, including elimination of terrorism, an end to war, maintaining a lasting peace, supporting national unity and respecting the national sovereignty of Afghanistan.” Karzai said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *