• publish: 12 September 2016
  • time: 7:26 pm
  • category: Security&Crime
  • No: 4410
Print

US embassy, NATO base in Kabul placed on brief lockdown

The U.S. Embassy and NATO headquarters in the Afghan capital were placed on lockdown for more than an hour early Monday after an apparent indirect fire strike at the embassy compound, officials said.

The incident occurred just after 5 a.m., and residents of the compounds were told to shelter until the all-clear was sounded about 6:30 a.m.

A spokesman for NATO’s Resolute Support mission said no coalition members had been hurt in what he called an “indirect fire attack.”

It was not immediately clear which type of weapon was involved in the attack. The term “indirect fire” usually refers to rocket or mortar rounds.

Embassy spokesman Lou Fintor, confirmed there had been “a security incident on the embassy compound” but could not provide further details. All embassy personnel were accounted for, he said.

The embassy was closed for business because of the Eid al-Adha holiday, which began Monday.

It’s not uncommon for bases or embassies in Kabul to be in lockdown. The NATO base was locked down a week earlier when buildings were shaken by twin blasts from a strike at the Afghan Defense Ministry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *