• publish: 30 April 2018
  • time: 2:00 pm
  • category: Security&Crime
  • No: 6634
Print

ISIS claims responsibility for Kabul twin bombings that left 25 people killed

At least 25 people were killed when two suicide blasts ripped through central Kabul early on Monday, April 30, Afghanistan’s health ministry has confirmed.

At least 45 people were wounded and rushed to hospital, where some are in critical condition, ministry spokesperson Wahid Majroh told Tolo news, warning the toll could rise.

The first bomb was detonated around 8 a.m. by an assailant on a motorcycle near the headquarters of the Afghan intelligence service, AFP reported. A second explosion minutes later killed a number of journalists who were rushing to cover the scene, including AFP’s chief photographer in Afghanistan, Shah Marai, the defense post wrote.

RFE/RL reporter Farangis Najibullah said one of her colleagues, Abadullah Hananzai, was among the dead. Seven other reporters from RFE, 1TV and other news outlets were confirmed dead. The Afghan Journalists Safety Committee said at least eight were killed.

Police officers were also killed in the second blast, Ministry of Interior spokesperson Najib Danish said.

“The second suicide bomber detonated his explosives among the journalists and policemen who were covering the area,” Danish said.

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq news agency.

Islamic State – Khorasan Province – known as ISKP, IS-K and ISIS-K – first emerged in Afghanistan in 2014 as NATO combat troops withdrew from the country and handed over responsibility to Afghan security forces.

Last week a suicide bomber killed 57 people at a Kabul voter registration center, an attack ISIS said targeted Afghanistan’s Shia community. The group claimed a bombing at an election center in Jalalabad on Sunday.

U.S. and Afghan forces have ramped up airstrikes and ground offensives against ISKP in Jowzjan province in recent months as the group seeks to expand its foothold in the country.

Afghanistan is also bracing for “fighting season” after the Taliban announced the start of their yearly spring offensive. The group has denied involvement in Monday’s attacks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.