Several rounds of mortars struck near or inside Shahid Mazari Musalla, a big open mosque building at around midday in Dashti Barchi locality.
“Some 15 wounded were shifted by Kabul Ambulance Service in hospitals after Thursday’s attack. But the exact number of casualties will be shared later in the day,” Dr. Muhibullah, a public health official, said
The Afghan Ministry of Interior Affairs media office said on twitter that the mortars were fired from a house in Police District 18 of the city, and one person has been arrested following the attack.
Most government officials left the area safely after the incident.
“I’ve arrived home safe and unharmed from today’s terrorist attack in Dashti Barchi but eight of my security guards have been injured,” former National Security Advisor Mohammad Hanif Atmar said on twitter.
“This was the most horrid and unforgivable attack on civilians by a merciless enemy. I’m pained by the loss of life and injury suffered by so many,” Atmar, a presidential election candidate, said.
Those attending the event included government Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, Foreign Minister Salauddin Rabbani and former President Hamid Karzai, among others.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.