• publish: 29 November 2015
  • time: 11:05 pm
  • category: Security&Crime
  • No: 2421
Print

NATO reaffirms commitment to support Afghan forces

The United States-led NATO coalition on Sunday reaffirmed its commitment to Afghanistan’s security forces and said it would not leave the Afghan forces alone on the battlefield.

As fears grow over the increase in violence seen these past few months and over what lies ahead in next year’s fighting season, the Resolute Support Mission reaffirmed its commitments to train, advice and assist Afghan forces in their bid to curb the Taliban.

Resolute Support Mission’s Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications Brigadier General Wilson Shoffner said the coalition was considering a comprehensive review of the planning process as well as the targeting process at all levels of the command chain.

NATO said the alliance would take new initiatives to protect civilians during engagements, adding that the alliance’s advisory role and technical support would continue to be given to Afghan troops until sustainable peace and stability was restored in the country.

The US forces in Afghanistan faced a major backlash recently following a deadly airstrike against a Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) hospital in Kunduz province last month. However, US officials say that they will review military support to Afghan troops during the operation so that such an incident is never repeated.

At least 13,000 NATO soldiers still serve in Afghanistan out of which 9,800 are deployed by the US Army. It is expected that up to 8,000 US troops will continue their mission in Afghanistan beyond 2016.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.