• publish: 17 March 2021
  • time: 2:50 pm
  • category: Politics
  • No: 17251
Print

Stoltenberg: NATO troops’ future in Afghanistan still to be decided on

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Tuesday that NATO and its allies “strongly support all efforts to try to find a peaceful negotiated solution” for Afghanistan.

Addressing a virtual press conference on the launch of NATO’s 2020 annual report, Stoltenberg stated: “That’s the reason why we welcome the US -Taliban agreement last year, and that’s the reason why we also support efforts to make progress in the peace process, and renewed efforts to try to strengthen the efforts to find a peaceful negotiated solution.”

“I think it’s also extremely important that all regional actors are taking part, they have their part of the responsibility for helping the peace process in Afghanistan, to go forward,” Stoltenberg added.

Meanwhile, the NATO Chief said the organization would discuss the May 1, deadline for withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan, in the NATO Foreign Ministers Meeting next week.

“We will, of course, assess, we will discuss and consult in NATO, as we move closer to the 1st of May deadline.”

“We also continue to demonstrate our commitment to the Afghan security forces, partly by continuing to train, assist and advise them, but also by continuing to provide funding for the Afghan security forces.”

“We will assess, we will monitor, we will consult, and then we will make the decision, as we move forward together as 30 allies, we have to remember that, of course, the US has a significant presence in Afghanistan as part of the NATO presence there,” he said.

“But now the majority of the troops in Afghanistan, the majority of the international troops in Afghanistan they are non-US – demonstrating the strong commitment of European allies, partners around the globe, to participate in the NATO mission in Afghanistan,” Stoltenberg noted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *